Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Wow...

I returned from my week in the tropics on Saturday evening to less than pleasing news: that the Caps have been sucking up the ice and were now 1-6 in their last 7. I withheld comment because I wasn't here to see it myself, and rather than go on a rant I chose to follow my mother's sage advice regarding not having anything nice to say.

So when I sat down on my couch last night, popped open a beer, and prepared to analyze all of the Capitals' woes - imagine my surprise when they strolled out onto the ice and handed the Leafs their arses on a silver platter with poutine on the side and Tim Horton's donuts for dessert.

I guess their little field trip to the Hockey Hall of Fame worked.

There was a brief "Oh God, here we go again" moment when the Leafs responded in a matter of seconds to Washington's opening goal, but the moment was short lived. It was the only non-mocking cheer from the sellout crowd that the Leafs were going to get all night. The Capitals dominated both ends of the ice from there on out.

We all know that injuries are a lame excuse for poor play at best, and last night it looked like the Caps knew that as well. I lost count of all the first goals, first multiple goals, first NHL goals somewhere around the second period. The boys stepped up, and they did it beautifully.

I won't delude myself into thinking that this is what we can expect from the Caps on any given night, but I will say that when this team finds consistency and maturity, they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Bring on the Rags.

No comments: